Introducing the new OMS Comms officer

Greetings friends, old and new.

My name is Tristan Alphey, and I am the new OMS comms officer for the coming year. I’ll be popping up in your inboxes throughout the year with all sorts of opportunities and events, and so I want to take this quick chance to briefly introduce myself and my research.

My research explores the social implications of nicknaming in pre-Conquest and early Norman England. I look at the themes, number, and distribution of nicknames in an attempt to understand what motivated people to give and repeat names, and whether we can begin to unpick some of the social systems that lay behind these names. My approach draws on a body of scholarship known as socio-onomastics, increasingly popular among linguists and anthropologists, that sees names as playing an active role in shaping the ways people interact with each other.

We find these nicknames all over the place: in Domesday Book, within witness-lists of charters, in manumissions, in confraternity books, (very occasionally) in poetry. Some of these English nicknames are simple observations: two late 7th century missionaries are given the nicknames ‘Black’ and ‘White’ for their hair colour. Others are openly pejorative: one Domesday subtenant is named, simply, ‘Bad Neighbour’. Yet others are downright unintelligible: if anyone can offer me a convincing interpretation for the nickname of Alric ‘Winter Milk’, I am all ears…

Elsewhere in Oxford I run the Medieval Misuse reading group, which explores the ways in which the medieval past has been misused by modern political parties and extremist groups. We hope to bring this back in the coming term, so keep your eyes peeled.

I look forward to getting to know you all better, and meeting many of you in person – feel free to email me with any specific questions. I’m always keen to convert other medievalists to the thrills of onomastics, particularly socio-onomastics, so do please reach out if you’d ever like to discuss names. Until then, enjoy this week’s downpour of rain and I will see you all in first week.

header image: Cnut and Emma as they appear in the liber vitae of New Minster: BL, Stowe, MS. 944, fol. 6 (https://imagesonline.bl.uk/asset/524)